Horse and rider Straightness training workshops.
What is stopping you from achieving natural stress free excellence?
- Have you been diagnosed by your trainer as having a collapsed hip?
- Does one of your stirrups feel shorter than the other?
- Do you loose one or both stirrups?
- Do you grip up?
- Do you often find yourself with one or both shoulders around your ears?
- Do you bank in around corners or sit to one side?
- Does your saddle twist or slip to one side?
Horse and rider Straightness training workshops.
Schooling the rider’s body to release their one-sidedness in preparation for training the horse, is a neglected topic that most people don’t think about. We spend all our time focusing on how the rider’s position should look, with next to no attention on the wonky foundation it is built upon.
Art is a deep release therapy that dissolves crookedness at its very core by combining the, Alexander Technique, Feldenkrais and NLP. You can only dissolve spinal twists which are the root cause of our wonky foundation holistically. Trying to manipulate parts of your body into, “looking the part,” only builds more layers of crookedness on top of your already wonky foundation.
“Good riding creates a balanced horse. Balance means you keep the whole body working well as a unit.” Dr Gerd Heuschmann author of, "Tug of war." and, "If horse's could speak."
Watch his videos here.
Art is unique because it shifts the focus of attention onto what you are doing wrong without judging or pressurising you to be perfect. F M Alexander said often, “Stop doing the wrong thing and the right thing will do itself.” If you think about it for a moment that is the very opposite to traditional training More here…
On the introductory day we will cover:
- How ART shares the mental + physical training of both horse + rider equally by combining the Alexander Technique, Feldenkrais, NLP and a good dose of common sense.
- How by taking the time to school the rider away from the horse they get a head start in their training for success. It replaces all the stress and strain associated with riding, with a calm intelligence that we used naturally as very young children.
- Why we need to school the rider to dissolve not only their own, but also their horse’s natural crookedness and spinal twists during riding.
- How schooling the rider to use mental rehearsal before they ride puts them in control of their habitual unconscious sabotaging habits.
- How mental preparation for the horse improves their performance and state of mind.
- How to build posture holistically by using ancient breathing techniques to calm your mind while stretching your body from the inside out.
If the horse is not enjoying being schooled they soon switch off, shut down and become resistant. I like to lunge horses over poles and small jumps to find out their little quirks, what turns them on and to release any explosions lurking inside! When they have this time and space to work alone they start to figure out the best way to manage the challenges presented to them, without the distraction of the rider. As they become braver they soon start to relax their back, round up and develop a top line. With this improved impulsion, rhythm and balance, the training process becomes much more comfortable for both horse + rider.
If you learn to ride before you ride by attending these dismounted virtual riding days, instead of the arena being a place of disempowerment and constant mind numbing, micro management, it becomes a place where training is fulfilling, fun and lifts your own + your horse’s spirit which leads to good movement and expression. What “turns him on” is then incorporated into schooling games that lead to him naturally seeking the bit and moving well. This is very important because if the horse is bored or restricted he will become unhappy and mirror his mood in his body. We cover this on the follow up mounted day.
ART unfolds to you throughout the day how unique but simple it is to get a horse into self-carriage with the graceful ease of movement that they display naturally in the field.
What we cover on Horse + rider Straightness training workshops.
1. The chair game shows us:
- How we think and react under pressure.
- Where our crookedness lies.
- How to dissolve our crookedness whilst moving with grace and ease.
- How we breathe in different situations.
- How stress affects our breathing.
- How our mind affects our breathing.
- How to breath fully + much more.
2. Diagonal pathway exercise. During this exercise we start learning how ART works using a specific floor exercise. I chose this fabulous, simple exercise out of about 500, because it quickly dissolves spinal twists which are the root cause of crookedness in both horse +rider. During this floor exercise riders slowly, accurately discover their stiff side. This is important because their stiff side blocks the horse's movement which affects their soundness and happiness. As we move on further into this deep release exercise, the rider learns how to rebalance their right/ left-sidedness until they become ambidextrous.
3. Feeling contact. During this exercise the rider learns how to encourage their horse to lightly seek the bit forwards and down with a relaxed poll, jaw and tongue while keeping your hands soft, following and even. As horse's were not designed to be sat on, it is important to lift and protect the back.
4. Flexion extension. This exercise strengthens and deepens the rider's seat while they absorb the horse's longitudinal - front to back - movement through their body and how to lift the horse's back.
5. Mental rehearsal using NLP. Throughout the day Joni will be using mental rehearsal to teach the rider how to use their body to diagnose the horse’s crookedness with particular attention paid to:
- How to use the above training before you ride.
- How the horse is feeling and reacting to your aids .
- What questions he is asking the rider.
- How he is responding to the rider's body language.
6. Turning and spiralling.
Costs. The dismounted workshop costs £59.50 for the day. If you bring a friend the cost is reduced to £110, that's £55 each. If you bring more than one friend everyone goes for £50 each
Horse + rider straightness training workshops.
- Gently rebalances crookedness in both horse + rider.
- Keeps you alert to how your horse is reacting to you as a leader.
- Gives you the space and time you need to, “feel out” the techniques without being constantly micro managed.
- Gently earns your horse’s confidence in you as his leader.
- Finds out what turns your horse on.
- Firstly straightens the rider.
- Then straightens the horse using the rider’s new well-honed body language.
- Gives you a pain free, happy, sound partnership.
- Helps you to save money because treating horse + rider in isolation from each other doesn’t work well. Riding is a way-of-going and must be treated while horse + rider move together as a unit!
In Horse and rider Straightness Training workshops. Whatever your level. Joni offers exemplary experience in a safe, warm environment.
Whether you are:
- A beginner looking for a riding taster.
- Nervous, looking to get past riding issues.
- A novice wishing to practise basic riding skills in a predictable and repeatable environment before riding a live horse.
- Intermediate or experienced wanting the ability to practise techniques and style, and enhance your understanding of advanced equestrian movements and dressage fine tuning.
- Resting your horse while riding the mechanical horse to learn ART to increase your personal fitness or recover from an injury, without over working.